Wednesday 3 February 2010

Maturity

I got a lovely birthday card this year from a dear friend. It proclaimed, "Ageing (sic) is inevitable. Maturing is optional". Now, it's not often that wayside pulpit messages hit me so hard, but this one is true, true, true. And therein lies the root of all my problems. Lack of maturity.

I dream of being the wise older man with pipe and slippers, sitting in his armchair by the fire oozing wisdom, but instead I'm too busy acting and reacting like one of  the Sunday School at times. I think of myself as really being in my early thirties, even although the mirror tells me otherwise these days!

AA says that you stop maturing when you are drinking, and only start again when you reach sobriety. That makes me very young indeed! That's my excuse anyway!

No comments: